Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Homosexuality - A matter of taste and a matter of hate.

Attraction towards a member of the same sex. Some see it as disgusting while others see it as just another way of life. From a traditional point of view of course, homosexuals are generally frowned upon, though this perplexes me. Homosexuality has existed since the dawn of civilisation. Every great kingdom to ever dominate the planet had great personalities who were bisexuals or just plain gay.

Socrates, Alexander the Great, Julius Ceaser and Aristotle are just some of the many great personalities who have had male lovers at one point of time or another. Now, if you did not know this before, is this going to make you view these historic personalities differently? Are you going to tell me that Alexander the Great, one of the greatest conquerors that history has ever seen, is lesser of a man just because he had male lovers?

Before I go further, I am not gay or bisexual. I explicitly state this because when someone defends homosexuals, there is often a tendency to speculate that the person is a homosexual too. I still remember about a year and a half ago, when I was back home in India, my brother and I were trying to explain to my father how homosexuals were normal people just like us. But his reaction was "Oh my god, one of my sons might be gay."

Normally, I would attribute such a response only to characters like Homer Simpson or Perter Griffin. But here was my own father responding to a defense of gay people in the same way that Homer might, all because of his one dimensional view on homosexuality. As far as he was concerned, they were not normal people like us, they deserve neither our sympathy nor our understanding. And despite how 'modern' you might think the world of today is, you would be shocked to see the narrow minded hate that stems from some people towards the gay community.

As a general rule, I often avoid people who claim to hate homosexuals because whenever I engage them in an argument or debate, none of them ever have any logical justifications to support their view. They say things like "I dont know, I just hate them" or "Homosexuality is wrong" but they never come up with a justification that makes any sense. They fail to realise that what seems disgusting to them is completely natural to others.

In that sense, hatred towards homosexuals is just like racism, the hatred stems more from ignorance and false beliefs than logical conclusions. As Martin Luther King Jr said "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance". I find it quite ironic comparing it with racism though, many of the haters I know are Africans.

I dont mind people who rally against homosexuality as long as they have considered the other side of the coin as well. You are entitled to your views and opinions as long as there is some logic behind it, as long as you can justify your cause. But so far, few people I have met have ever been able to justify their hate. They have not been personally wronged in any way by the gay community, their arch enemies in life are not homosexuals, yet they hate them.

Another crucial factor for this hate could also be that many think homosexuality is a choice. But in most cases it is not a choice, these people just feel attracted towards members of the same sex. We are not in control over who we feel attracted to, it just happens. And to be persecuted and hated because of this attraction that people have no control over makes little sense to me.
I prefer mutton over chicken, I just cant help it.

The thought of mutton just has my mouth watering while the thought of chicken does not. Anyone who hates me and thinks I am not normal just because he/she likes chicken better can go to hell.

"We hate some persons because we do not know them; and we will not know them because we hate them." Charles Colton has a valid point there.

No comments: