Thursday, May 25, 2006

I dont really know what to say.....

I know almost every first post usually starts with something like this. Some comment on not knowing what to say and what to expect; and despite my considerable efforts to think of something original to discuss, my common sense advices me that it is better to have an awkward but honest introduction with this new 'blog' craze, rather than to move into provocative topics on my very first step .

My brother told me one evening that he was giving this whole blog thing a try. Later, I found out that a good friend was into it too and I naturally thought Id give it a shot, since writing random rubbish has been a passionate but ultimately useless hobby I have had since I was quite young. I really cant think of anything else that made me create this.

Nilanthan, thats my full name, though this lengthy and often verbally challenging title is only reserved for my lecturers and classmates who arent that close to me. My brother is the only other person who calls me by my full name, though the reason for that is probably more because of his flair for the dramatic than anything else. For the rest though, which includes family and friends, the name is Nilan. Thats 'Nilan' as in Nilan the good friend, Nilan the eldest son, Nilan the occasional confidant and Nilan the notoriously problematic student who often thrives on bluffing his way out of sticky situations.

I doubt there would be too much apart from my name that you wouldnt know if you read my posts from time to time, but for those who might want to know something right away, I am this complicated mix of Indian and Sri lankan. Indian by a loving mix of birthplace and upbringing, Sri Lankan by a nauseating brew of family and bad luck (I have nothing against Sri Lankans and even if I did I wouldnt be scared to post it here, as not a soul from there is likely to know what a 'blog' or even what the 'internet' is).

I am a law student, one who has no illusions about fighting for justice and serving the needy and one who isnt dumb enough to overlook the fact that lawyers compete with hitmen and insurance salesmen for the last place in popularity contests. But I am good at what I do, which doesnt really matter because I see myself as so many things other than just a law student. As vain as this may sound, and as unlikely as this may sound to some, I also consider myself an excellent philosopher, a potential novelist, a true film buff and a helluva good liar.

Where I currently live is irrelevant since Im not here to discuss geograhpy (though I might at a later time if I feel like it), but for the benefit of curious observers lets just that say Im somewhere in Malaysia at the moment and am flying away to some place in Europe in a few months to finish my degree. Where my life goes from there depends on God, Mother Fate and Lady Luck, none of whom I beleive in, which makes me both depressed and amused, depending on how dark my sense of humour is at any given time.

Well I dont want to go on and on about my life and my expectations for the future, since the reason for this blog is not to talk about me, but to rant about what I feel like talking about. I will tell you more about my hobbies and my whims as I post more, but right now I am just happy to get into this mania like a lot of other people and am curious to see if atleast this one lasts for a long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm..............guess uh.....wateva
its hell of a bloody nonsense
served on a cold platter!!